Monday, February 14, 2011

Spiritual Heritage

I have long pondered the concept of spiritual heritage. Looking at my own life, I feel that my steps and plans have been inexorably blessed. God has led me down better paths than I would have paved for myself and He has provided me with opportunities I couldn’t have dreamed on my own. But why? Although I have always endeavored to do right by Him and pursue justice, courage, and mercy, I have fallen short more times than I care to admit. What then is the reason for God’s unending generosity and blessing?

Frankly, I think a lot of it has to do with my parents. I am a second-generation Christian. My parents got saved in their early twenties and my dad then went to Bible school to become a pastor. He went to school during the day, worked at a psychiatric hospital at night, and led worship at church on weekends. Even so, he always made time to play with my brother and me every single day. Only God knows when the poor man was able to sleep! In the meantime, my mom homeschooled us since we lived in a rough neighborhood in Minneapolis. She was always (and still is!) a very patient, wise, and creative teacher.

We were so poor in those days that I can remember eating cream of wheat or oatmeal for every meal for a whole week. My parents sacrificed so much just to follow God’s call on their lives. After my dad finished Bible school, we accepted a pastorate at a very small church in northern Minnesota. I don’t know how much his salary was, but it wasn’t a lot. We didn’t have much during those 7 years, but we were always happy and loved.

I know that no sacrifice made for Jesus is ever forgotten or ever not paid back a thousand fold. Who can ever out-give God? And, in fitting the pieces and patterns of my life together, I think I am benefiting even now from the spiritual heritage, the spiritual legacy, I inherited from my parents.

So, I would like to take this brief moment to once again thank them for their sacrifices and faithfulness. Heritage is an amazing thing, and I am both grateful and blessed.

I can only imagine the heritage our missionaries leave to the generations that follow them. I can only imagine the sacrifices that God will someday repay a thousand fold for everything they give up now.

What kind of spiritual heritage are you leaving behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment